1. about the school/classes

Q: What is the application deadline for each term of enrolment?

A: An admission on a student visa

There are two admission periods per year (April and October). If you need to apply for a college student visa, please contact us in advance as there are specific deadlines for each enrolment period. The admission dates and application deadlines are listed below. (Applications may be closed before the closing date if places are full)

Enrolment PeriodApril EntryOctober Entry
Approximate time of applicationLate October of the previous yearLate April of the previous year
Application to the Immigration BureauLate NovemberEarly June
Time of issuance of residence permit and payment of school feesLate FebruaryLate August
Application for a visa at the Embassy or ConsulateEarly MarchEarly September

Enrollment is possible with a visa other than a college student visa. Please contact our office.

Q: How many students are there in a class?

A: Our classes are small, with a maximum of 20 students per class.

Q: What time are the classes held?

A: Class times are fixed according to the level of the class, so students cannot choose their preferred times of attendance.

Class times are as follows

Morning classesAfternoon classesStructure of classes
9:00~12:2013:00~16:204 x 45-minute lessons

Q: I have never studied Japanese before. Can I enroll?

A: You can enroll even if you have never studied Japanese before. However, if you want to apply for a student visa, you need to study at least 150 hours. It is advisable to have studied at least the Japanese syllabary before coming to Japan, so that you will have enough time to attend classes.

You can enroll twice a year, starting on the first day of each term, so we recommend that you start your application at the right time.

Q: Can I enroll in the middle of a term?

A: If you have already studied Japanese before and you feel that you can understand the lessons without any problems, you can enroll in the middle of the term. You will be asked to take a level check test, so please contact the office for more details.

Q When can I join a selective class?

A: Selective classes are generally open to students who are taking classes at intermediate level or above. After enrollment, students who wish to continue their studies will be guided by their homeroom teacher. Students can also be recommended to classes at group cram schools affiliated with Meisei International Japanese Language School.

Q: Do you use foreign languages to explain things in class?

A: Our classes are held with learners from many different countries in the same class, and we use the direct method of teaching, so the teacher teaches only in Japanese. The classes are designed to be understandable even for those who are new to learning Japanese.

As you get used to this style of study, you will get into the habit of thinking in Japanese and you will be able to speak Japanese quickly. Since you are coming to Japan, we hope you will give it a try.

Q: What are the criteria for class placement?

A: Classes are divided according to the students’ level of Japanese, so you will study together in the same class. Regardless of your age, the length of time you wish to study or the type of visa you hold, you will be placed in a class of the right level for you.

Q: Can I extend my course after it has started?

A: If you have enrolled on a student visa and wish to extend your course, please contact the school office to discuss the validity of your visa and the costs involved.

Q: Do I have to do homework or take tests while I am at the school?

A: Yes, we do. You will have homework almost every day to ensure that you remember what you have studied in class.

At the end of each term, there will be a final exam in conversation, listening comprehension, reading comprehension and writing to check your level of proficiency.

Q: Will I receive a diploma or degree after completing my course at a Japanese language school?

A: If your attendance and grades meet certain criteria, you will be awarded a diploma.

Q: Is there Wi-Fi available at the school?

A: Yes, Wi-Fi is available.

2. life in Japan / cities

Q: Do you have a dormitory?

A: Students can live in a dormitory if they wish.

Q: How much does it cost to live in Japan for a month?

A: Including rent, food and utilities, you should expect to pay between 55,000 yen and 130,000 yen a month in Osaka.

(Japanese Yen)

Food expenses¥20,000 〜 ¥40,000
Transportation expenses¥2,000 〜 ¥15,000
Communication cost¥4,000 〜 ¥15,000

Q: How can I have a cell phone in Japan?

A: If you have a student visa, you can sign up for a mobile phone contract if you have a residence card and a Japanese bank account.

Q: How do I bring money to Japan?

A: Most financial institutions will not allow you to open a bank account in Japan until you have been in Japan for 6 months. It is easier to open a bank account at Japan Post Bank and regional banks than at major banks. Many mainland Chinese students get a “UnionPay” card in their home country and withdraw cash from ATMs in Japan. It is advisable to bring a credit card with you, just in case.

Q: What is the climate and temperature like in Japan?

A: Japan is a long country with four distinct seasons, so the climate and temperature varies greatly from city to city and season to season.

You can find out about the climate in Osaka by visiting this website.


Q: What is the transport system like in Japan?

A: In Osaka there are trains, buses and subways running throughout the city, and it is common to use commuter passes or chargeable IC cards to get around.

Chargeable IC cards can also be used to travel on many public transport systems throughout Japan, so we recommend that you get one when you arrive in Japan.

ICOCA Card [Japanese website] https://www.jr-odekake.net/icoca/

PITAPA Card [Japanese website] https://www.pitapa.com/

Q: What is the insurance policy in Japan?

A: By law, anyone staying in Japan for more than three months on a student visa is required to join the National Health Insurance scheme. If you join the National Health Insurance scheme, you will be responsible for 30% of the cost of medical treatment at a hospital for illness or injury. As soon as you arrive in Japan, you will need to apply at the municipal office of your place of residence. The premiums vary according to the municipality and income.

Q: Can I work part-time?

A: Students on a student visa may work part-time within 28 hours per week after obtaining a “Permit to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted” at the airport upon arrival in Japan. However, there are restrictions on the type of work you can do, so please contact the school for details.

3. Application

Q: How long does it take to apply for a student visa?

A: It takes about 6 months to apply for a student visa. Please contact us as soon as possible. For more information, please see the following page.

Q How do I apply?

A: If you are applying for a student visa, please see the following page

Application Guidelines

Q: How do I pay the school fees?

A: You will receive an invoice once your application has been confirmed, which you can pay by bank transfer.

Q: Is there a scholarship scheme?

A: Yes, we do. Please see the following page for details.

> Scholarships

Q: Do I know what level I will be placed in when I apply?

A: You will be placed in a class which will be announced by the school the day before your course starts. Your placement will be determined by a pre-sessional placement test. If you do not take the test, you will be placed in the zero level, so please make sure you take the test. Your teacher will check your level and decide which class is the most suitable for you.

Q: Is it possible to visit the school before enrolling?

A: Yes, it is possible. Please contact the school office for more information.

4.What to do before you enter the country

Q: When should I prepare my ticket to go to Japan?

A: You should arrange your ticket so that you arrive in Japan at least one day before your first day of study (orientation). As soon as you have booked your ticket to Japan, please send your E-ticket to the person in charge. If you have booked an airport transfer, please ensure that you email your E-ticket to us at least 7 working days before your arrival date. Please note that if you are late in notifying us of your arrival, we may not be able to make arrangements.

Q: How much cash do I need to bring with me when I go to Japan?

A: If you arrive at the weekend, you can withdraw cash from ATMs, but it will take 6 months to open a bank account. We recommend that you bring at least 200,000 yen to cover the cost of the train, a week’s worth of daily necessities and food on arrival.

Q: Do I need to study Japanese before I go to Japan?

A: We have classes for complete beginners, but you will find it easier to understand the lessons if you have studied the hiragana and katakana before you come to Japan.

Hiragana and Katakana are the same as the alphabet in English. Being able to read and write hiragana and katakana is very useful, so we recommend that you study them before you come to Japan.